Skip to main content

Emotion, Inc.

             Mel hung up the phone and stared straight ahead, replaying the conversation in his head. He knew he had to tell his boss what had happened, but how?
There was a knock on his door and a tan face with a grin of shiny white teeth stepped into his office. “Ready for the meeting, Choly?” He laughed at an untold joke.
“Yup,” said Mel, taking a deep breath.
“I’m excited, we’ll get to hear how well we worked! And if not, boss always gives the best advice.” As Mel walked past him he gave him a forceful pat on the back. Mel just ignored him. “What’s wrong, friend?”
“It’s nothing, Smiley.” The two walked down the hallway and towards the conference room.
“Well whatever it is, I’m sure this meeting will cheer you up!”
Mel suspected the exact opposite would happen, but he simply sighed. The two stepped into a room where a man and a woman sat at a long table. He and Smiley took seats next to each other, and as they sat down everyone’s eyes were on the seat across from Mel. It was empty until a few seconds later when a young woman rushed in. As she sat down she set her bag on the table and knocked over a mug belonging to the man next to her, spilling hot coffee onto the papers spread out in front of him. Her cheeks turned bright red as she helped him clean up. “Oh my,” she said, “That’s so—”
“Embarrassing, we know,” said the man to her right, his nostrils flaring with each breath. He stood up as he attempted to save the pieces of paper in front of him.
Everyone else was silent, except for Smiley. “Don’t worry about your papers, now they smell like coffee!” He nodded to himself.
When the coffee was finally sopped up with paper towels, the woman at the head of the table spoke. “As we all know, the start of summer brings plenty of change, especially in our business. Now that we’re all here, I suppose we should start off with quarterly reports, see how we deal with this change. Let’s start with you, Mr. Fuming.”
Fuming clenched his teeth and examined the soggy files that hung in his fingers, still dripping with coffee. “Vacation traffic, damn vacation traffic, has taken a hold of this country. So, we had hundreds more traffic lights installed, and now not a street in America is without the blare of car horns. They’re angry.”
“Very good,” said the boss nodding as she took notes. Mel felt like there was a rock in the pit of his stomach. If he heard any more good news he was sure the rock would make it to his throat. “Ashley, how has your department been?”
The girl across from Mel turned pink, and spoke without looking up. “I – well – it’s beach season, which means people are starting to – you know, wear less clothes. That’s why we made swimsuits smaller. People are showing way more skin, and now the beaches are full of pale, out of shape people. It’s really – it’s quite embarrassing.”
The rock had indeed left Mel’s stomach and was now inching up the back of his throat.
The boss nodded and moved to the man to her right, who spoke with a stutter. “Roller coasters…” Terry shuddered at the thought of them, “…have become twice as terrifying.” He placed a white poster board on a stand behind him. It showed a line graph that sloped exponentially upward, like the first hill of an amusement park ride.
Mel felt a burning behind his eyes, as though the tears would burst through any moment.
It was finally Smiley’s turn to report, and Mel knew what to expect even before he opened his mouth. Smiley laughed as he talked about the rising sweetness of ice cream and the increasing coolness of swimming pools. Then, grinning even more, Smiley added, “We also launched my newest idea: The Tail Wagging Cruise. Imagine a boat full of puppies sent all over the world to visit orphanages and nursing homes. By my estimates, smiling and laughter will reach a record high.” The boss was ecstatic as well, giving him the biggest grin she had given anyone, but not bigger than Smiley’s, of course. It looked as though his smirk would tear holes through his cheeks.
It was finally Mel’s turn, and he couldn’t blink with the fear of sending tears down his cheeks. Everyone was staring at him, and he had to give them the news.
“DryNose called me several minutes ago,” he said, his voice cracking.
“The tissue company?” asked Ashley.
All Mel could do was nod.
“What did they say?” asked the Boss.
“They – they’re terminating business with us.” Mel placed his clasped hands in front of his mouth.
Fuming slammed the table with his fist. “What do you mean terminating? They’re our biggest client!”
Tears finally snuck past Mel’s eyelids.
“What about our reputation?” asked Ashley. “Who will do business with us when they hear we’ve lost DryNose?”
Mel put his head in his hands and allowed the tears to soak his palms.
Terry’s voice trembled when he spoke. “What does that mean for the company? Are we going to go under?”
Mel whimpered quietly.
Smiley, for once, had nothing to say.
The boss didn’t respond to any of them, placing all of her attention on Mel. “How could you let this happen? What have you done to increase Sadness? What have you been working on for three months?”
Mel was now sobbing into his hands. “I – I tried my best. We published millions of poetry books this year, some of the poems were heart-breaking. There was one really sad one about an old widow, and another about a dying tree…”
“Mr. Choly, people just don’t find poetry sad anymore. What were you thinking?” His boss’s voice just made Mel’s tears just come out faster. “I’m afraid we won’t be able to maintain business without DryNose. At this point, it will take an act of God to –”
Before she could finish, the intercom buzzed.
 “I’m sorry to interrupt,” said the voice on the other end, “But there’s breaking news. A boat has capsized.”
Mel’s crying stopped. He wiped his tears and listened.
“It was the Tail Wagging Cruise. Something went horribly wrong mechanically. The boat sank. It was horrible, I’m afraid none of the puppies survived.”
“You mean –”
“Yes. No one got to play with the puppies. All that could be heard were their tiny barks before each one of them drowned.”
“Did a lot of people see this happen?”
“Yes. The cruise was just about to dock and it was being televised live. The boat was too far away when it sunk, though. No one could do a thing. And the puppies’ bodies are still washing ashore hours later.”
Smiley’s grin drooped. His lips quivered.
Mel slid a box labeled "DryNose" in front of Smiley. "Do you need a tissue?"

Comments

Read These If You Have Nothing Better to Do

Three tips on getting your beach body that don't involve going to war with Iran

Summer is almost here, which means Americans will be heading to the beach, pool, and possibly the Middle East to start another genocidal war that will only further destabilize the region. Here are some tips that make sure you look good while also ensuring you don't kill hundreds of thousands of people. 1.) Stick to your diplomatic relationship and your workout routine. Having a set plan can go a loooong way in ensuring you get to the gym every week. Once you establish something that works, though, don't give up just because you get busy or you want to tarnish your predecessor's legacy. Abs don't show up in one week. Don't stop your workout just because your tummy doesn't get flat right away, or because of unfounded claims that the 2015 peace deal deal isn't working. As Dory from Finding Nemo famously says: 2.) Maintain a high-protein breakfast and avoid appointing John Bolton as your National Security Advisor. Any breakfast that inc

Something you never want to hear from your significant other

It started out like a regular date night. Both of us had survived tough weeks at work, and we relished the chance to get away from it all. After paying for our meal, we weren't yet ready to head in, so we decided to go for a walk by the river. It was warm, but the breeze off the water soothed us. My partner and I held hands. We chitchatted. I don't remember what we talked about, but then he turned to me and told me something I will never forget. My first reaction after hearing these words was shock. I never in my life imagined I would hear something like that directed at me, especially from someone I cared about so deeply. Did he really just say that? I wondered. Even though I had heard him clearly, my only response was, "What?" He repeated. Again, every word entered my ear and soured all happy memories I had of my partner. Every warm feeling that I felt towards him was now ice cold, and it was just as shocking to hear the second time: A roller skating

Web-site Musings' Official 2020 Endorsement

I have covered politics before, in both opinion and factual pieces, but have always refrained from making endorsements because no one paid me to. This year is different, however, with crises that seem to increase more and more by the day. As someone who cares about the future of this country and the world, I am making this endorsement in the hopes that we make it to 2021 looking stylish, while also staying practical. For this reason, I am proud to endorse FLEXI Extra Sturdy Sunglasses With Color Lenses - Sleek Design, Men & Women SJ9083! This election is more important than ever, as the current occupant of the White House has refused to tackle some of our most pressing issues, such as giving your eyes the UV protection they need as you go about your daily routine. Scientists predict that all of y our friends will have the coolest shades while you are stuck looking boring and dull, and yet, the President has do ne nothing about this crisis. As a candidate, FLEXI Extra Sturd

My coming out post

This is difficult. I’m not usually vulnerable on here, but I need to talk about something. After being in the closet for so long, it’s time for me to speak my truth. As a writer, this blog is the best place for me to do that. And I really appreciate YOU for reading this. Being in the closet is in no way a fun experience. When you have no one to talk to it’s easy to shut down, to get lost in your thoughts. For that reason, I have a lot of pent-up emotions... soI’ll try to not write too much! I feel like I’ve been in the closet forever. But when it really comes down to it, I’m the same person I was when I was trapped in there. “Trapped” might seem like a strong word, but I assure you, I do not use it  lightly. When I was in the closet, I truly felt that I would never get out - and that often led to despair. Despite all this, I have no regrets - because coming out has only made me stronger. I cannot write this post without thanking my support system: my friends and family. These ar

How to tell if you have a horse infestation… and what to do about it.

Click  here  to read at funny-ish.com.